Take the Sting Out of Sensitive Teeth
Is your tooth sensitivity too bad to bear? Well now you can stop the suffering and prevent the pain of sensitive teeth from returning with these simple soothing strategies.
Understand the Source of Tooth Sensitivity
It’s easy to tell if you have sensitive teeth. You’ll feel a painful, piercing sensation when teeth are exposed to air or touch, as well as when they come into contact with hot, cold, or highly acidic foods and drinks. This pain is caused by erosion of the tooth enamel and gum recession, which reveal the underlying layer of dentin that is connected to the nerves that prompt pain in the tooth.
Know the Triggers of Sensitive Teeth
Tooth sensitivity can strike anyone at any time. Many factors can cause sensitive teeth, but experts in family dentistry typically point to these problems:
- Harsh tooth-whitening products.
- Long-term use of an abrasive toothpaste or acidic mouthwash.
- Roughly brushing your teeth with a hard-bristled toothbrush.
- Excessive plaque buildup.
- Receding gums.
- Chipped teeth.
- Grinding or clenching teeth.
- Consuming highly acidic foods and beverages.
- Certain dental procedures.
Have Your Dentist Determine the Right Treatment for You
There are many treatments available for use at home and in a dental office, so there’s no reason to suffer from tooth sensitivity. Because there are multiple causes of sensitive teeth, you’ll need an exam by a family dentistry expert, who can determine the right treatment for you. These are the most common treatments:
- Brushing gently with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Choosing a toothpaste formulated for tooth sensitivity.
- Using a fluoridated mouthwash daily.
- Having a fluoride gel applied to your teeth.
- Limiting teeth grinding and clenching with a mouth guard.
- Avoiding acidic foods and drinks.
- Using bonding, inlays, or crowns to correct dental problems.
- Getting surgical gum grafts.
- Receiving a root canal.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Abingdon, call Dental One Associates of Bel Air today at (410) 698-1674 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Abingdon. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Bel Air, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Bel Air.