What Causes and Calms Sensitive Teeth
Do you experience pangs of pain in your teeth when consuming hot or cold foods and drinks, or simply facing a blast of air? You’re probably struggling with tooth sensitivity. Learn what’s producing the pain and how to lessen this lingering problem.
Identifying the Source of Your Sensitive Teeth
Your teeth become sensitive when your tooth enamel is worn down and the underlying layer called dentin is exposed. This dentin covers your tooth’s roots and can produce pangs of pain upon stimulation or sensation, resulting in sensitivity. Sensitivity can strike anyone at any time for many possible reasons. Fortunately, just seeing an affordable dentist can help you get to the root of your problem. But most cases of tooth sensitivity result from one of these factors:
- Brushing Too Hard – Brushing your teeth too aggressively or using a hard-bristled toothbrush can erode your tooth enamel and cause your gums to recede.
- Receding Gums – This happens when the gums move away from a tooth and expose the root, making teeth more sensitive.
- Tooth Damage – Chipped, cracked, or broken teeth can fill up with bacteria from plaque and cause severe inflammation.
- Teeth Grinding – This can wear away the tooth enamel and expose the tooth’s underlying layer called dentin, which leads directly to the nerves and root of the tooth.
- Periodontal Disease – This occurs when the gums become inflamed or irritated and expose the tooth’s root, which leads to the sensitive nerve.
- Highly Acidic Foods and Drinks – Frequently eating and drinking items that contain a lot of acid can erode your tooth enamel.
- Tooth Whitening Products – Frequent tooth whitening and long-term use of whitening toothpastes can cause tooth sensitivity.
- Acidic Mouth Rinses – Some over-the-counter mouthwashes contain acids that can erode the enamel and damage the delicate dentin beneath.
- Age – Adults are the most likely group to suffer from tooth sensitivity, with most cases striking between the ages of 25 and 30.
- Recent Professional Dental Treatments – Many people experience temporary sensitivity after teeth cleanings, root canals, and tooth restoration procedures.
How to Allay Tooth Sensitivity
You don’t have to live with the lingering pain of sensitive teeth. There are many ways to soothe the ache and control your condition, such as:
- Maintain Good Dental Hygiene – You need to brush and floss your teeth both gently and completely on a regular basis to prevent tooth sensitivity from developing.
- Use a Soft-Bristled Toothbrush – Softer bristles are less abrasive on teeth and gums, which can reduce your risk of tooth sensitivity.
- Select a Toothpaste Designed to Desensitize – There are many varieties available, so it’s best to ask your affordable dentist which is the best choice for you.
- Limit Acidic Foods and Beverages – Routinely eating foods and drinking beverages high in acid can wear away tooth enamel, exposing the tooth’s underlying dentin and causing sensitivity.
- Control Tooth Grinding – Grinding your teeth can erode the delicate enamel, so be sure to use a mouth guard and seek the proper treatment for this behavior.
- Have Routine Professional Dental Care – Make sure to schedule check-ups and cleanings with an affordable dentist every six months and follow all at-home hygiene instructions to keep your smile beautiful.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Abingdon, call Dental One Associates of Bel Air today at (410) 698-1674 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Abingdon. With 12 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Bel Air, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Bel Air.