How to Handle a Dental Emergency
When a tooth breaks, cracks, or even falls out due to an accident or injury, you need to know what to do to protect your smile and ensure the best possible outcome. If a dental emergency should occur, one important step for every incident is to contact an affordable dentist in Abingdon. Many dentists reserve room in their daily schedules to accommodate dental emergencies. However, if your dentist isn’t available, an emergency dentist can help you. Whatever you do, don’t ignore the pain or brush off getting help. Pain is a sign that something is wrong and needs to be addressed. Use this guide to protect your dental health in an emergency.
Tips for Dealing with a Dental Emergency
- Bitten Lip or Tongue. When you bite your tongue or lip while eating or drinking, it’s generally a slight discomfort and certainly nothing that constitutes an emergency. However, there are times when a bite of the lip or tongue can turn into a more severe incident, requiring a cloth to stop the bleeding and a cold compress to reduce swelling. And if these symptoms don’t go away, you should head to an emergency dentist or the hospital emergency room right away.
- Broken Tooth. If your tooth breaks, try to find all the pieces of the tooth. Rinse your mouth with warm water to get rid of debris. Use a cold compress to reduce any swelling. Call your dentist in Abingdon and provide all the details of the incident to ensure appropriate dental care and improve the odds of saving your tooth.
- Broken Jaw. If you feel like your jaw has been dislodged, shattered, or broken, apply a cold compress to keep the swelling down. Head to the emergency room and call an emergency dentist immediately.
- Knocked-Out Tooth. If your tooth is knocked out of place, locate the tooth, and hold it by the crown (flat, top side). Rinse it off and place it in a cup of warm water with a dab of salt or in a cup of milk. Avoid scrubbing the tooth and be certain not to remove any attached tissue fragments. Go see an emergency dentist immediately, with your knocked-out tooth in tow. If you can get treatment within an hour, in many cases, your dentist can save the tooth.
- Objects Caught Between Teeth. Attempt to gently remove the object using dental floss. Do not cut your gums. Sharp instruments should not be used to dislodge objects. If you cannot remove the object, contact your dentist.
- Toothache. Toothaches can occur for many reasons. When they do occur, it is best to contact a dentist, even if you are not sure of the reason for the pain. An affordable dentist in Abingdon can help you identify the root cause of the issue and avoid worsening the situation. When a toothache occurs, rinse your mouth with warm water and gently use dental floss to remove food or other debris that may be caught between the teeth and causing the pain. Pain is a sign that something is wrong, so don’t ignore it—call your dentist.
Regardless of the type of dental emergency, you should never skip contacting your dentist. If you have financial concerns, talk to your dentist about the financing options available to you. There are affordable dentists who can help you manage your oral health within your budget, even in the case of a dental emergency. Always get help and ask about affordable payment options.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Abingdon, call Dental One Associates of Bel Air today at (410) 698-1674 or make an appointment.
Dental One Associates offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Abingdon. With 11 affiliated practices throughout Maryland, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Dental One Associates of Bel Air, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Dental One Associates of Bel Air.